Friday 13 March 2015

New leaded window or not

As I mentioned in my last post, I thought I would install a leaded window at the end of the kitchen cupboards to create a simple see-through barrier while maintaining the traditional look.

I took the panel to the boat this morning and found it will fit without too much jigging about but, when I offered it up to see what it would look like I immediately found I didn't like it. While it would do what I imagined, it would cut into the open plan layout too much and that was not good. Good job I had only taken the panel on approval with no money passing hands. I returned it later in the day to Mick and Gena with thanks.

I was surprised my imagination had let me down on this occasion but was pleased to find out I didn't like it now rather than after I'd fitted it. Building and fitting out a boat is a bit like painting a watercolour; before you start and as you progress you need to see in your minds eye what the final picture should look like but then you must know when to stop. I have seen so many boats where the owners have just kept on adding bits and pieces, inside and out, until their boat looks more like a jumble sale than a simple, down-to-earth work or art. I'm not saying Skylark will ever be a work of art but I certainly don't want her to look like a jumble sale!

So, with a couple of hours to kill, I started up the engine and pootled up the Little Ouse in a warm hazy sunshine.



No comments:

Post a Comment