Sunday 13 March 2016

Lincolnshire Aircraft Museum

I've had a couple of days away in the new Landy, mainly to test out the sleeping arrangements prior to my Normandy and Belgium trip early next month. All worked out well and I am now sure the new Landy will be a good replacement for the 'Beast'.

Anyway, while I was away, I popped into the Lincolnshire Aircraft Museum a few miles south of Lincoln itself. What a gem. Like other museums of its sort, it relies on the sterling work of many volunteers and few dedicated staff, and I have to say, they have done a great job.

Their pride and joy...


Tucked away at the back of the hanger but still proudly displayed under the Union Jack...


And a reconstructed Briefing Room in a nearby Nissan hut...


The Control Tower has exhibits inside...


And then, after a couple of hours, it's lunch in the NAAFI...



I had hoped to have a big plate of Bangers and Mash with a steaming cup of tea waiting for me but there was none to be seen. I should have phoned ahead. Never mind. Perhaps next time.

If you'e into WW2 aviation history (including the likes of Guy Gibson, Bouncing Bombs, Battle of Britain Memorial Flights, etc), Lincolnshire is a good place to visit. Even if you're not into that, there are dozens of museums, antiques centres and miles of lovely countryside.

BTW, I am available to join Visit Lincolnshire Tourism in a consultative role. I'll wait for their call...

No comments:

Post a Comment