Friday 22 April 2016

Return to Calais via Dinant and Namur


Dinant has a small but dominant citadel perched high above the town. This is well worth a visit as it's got quite and interesting history especially during the first few months of the First World War when German troops attacked the town and killed hundreds of civilians.

I parked at the top, walked around the museum then took the steps down to the town. There is a cable car (it's just by the trees at the top). The walk back up the hill was good exercise but I constantly thought how well defended this side of the citadel was - I would not have wanted to make that approach if there were people chucking stuff down at me!


Namur also has a citadel but it is much larger than Dinant. I only stopped her for a lunch and coffee break so didn't spend much time exploring. Maybe this is something for another trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment