Tuesday 30 September 2014

On yer bike!

I'm a keen biker and use my bike at home whenever I can and I also have a folding bike for use when I'm away on the boat. But last week when I had a couple of nights away, I was walking along the river just outside Ely making my obligatory phone home and all was quiet. As I finished my call and turned around to walk back, I thought I would just check to see if any texts had arrived so I walked slowly with my head down looking at my phone. I know lots of people do this nowadays but it's not something I do often. Anyway, no sooner had I found the text button on my phone, I heard a short, sharp cry, 'Look up, look up!'. This took me by surprise, as I thought I was the only person around at the time, but as soon as I looked up a biker whizzed past me doing what I thought must have been 25 mph.

Well, it was quite a shock I can tell you and I let out an involuntary, 'Whoah...'. You know the sort of thing John Wayne might shout if he's trying to stop a stampeding Wells Fargo stage coach (a bit embarrassing if anyone else had heard me). Anyway, I went on my way thinking, 'Why didn't he ring his bell?'. Whenever I approach some one on a narrow path I always ring my bell and slow down, so why didn't he? Perhaps a bell is too namby pamby for a racing bike.

So that's it. I hope you weren't expecting a great punch line or something more exciting but that was about as exciting as it ever gets on the Ouse.

Time for a photo of the Ouse looking its best - again...


No comments:

Post a Comment