Saturday 4 October 2014

Suffun'f'nuffun

I often walk around the local car boot sale looking for bargains that may be useful for the boat or the house. As I wander between the stalls searching for that elusive right angled bracket or 8mm masonry drill, I like to keep one ear on the conversations going on. Of course, as I'm walking, I only hear snippets but they can open up a myriad of lives being lived.

This morning, I heard lots about the weather, especially as this long dry spell is about to be brought to a sharp conclusion with heavy wind and rain heading down from the north. 

I heard, lots of traders threatening to give it all up (the trade, I guess, not life). And I don't know if it's just the way people speak nowadays, but I heard lots of negatives like, 'How are ya?', 'Oh, not as bad as I was but then not as good as I could be.' Or, 'Haven't see ya f' a while.' No, that's probably because I hevn't been here. Me wife's had problems wiv her feet.' 

I hear lots of gripes about poor trade like, 'Not doin' so well today, even worse than Woolpit.' or 'I don't know why I do it, just standin' here gettin' cold.' Or ' I know it's all rubbish but I thought someone would want to buy it.'

I also hear lots of languages that I don't recognise, mainly eastern european I guess, but I love it when I hear broad Suffolk. This dialect is sadly disappearing but this morning it made me chuckle when I heard an old boy grumbling, 'People, I dunno, they all warnt suffun'f''nuffun.' Nice.

Anyway, without any bargains in hand, I made my way out of the field and headed home but, as I left, I heard a final gem. I have absolutely no idea what the guy was talking about. 

'If I'd known you were comin', I'd have washed it.'

If I ever have a family coat of arms, I think I'll have that as my motto.

No comments:

Post a Comment