Tuesday 28 October 2014

Are you the phantom fender fixer?

When I got to the boat on Sunday afternoon, I made ready and shoved off within a few minutes, hoping to get to Ely before dark. It was quite dark when I got there so I moored at a convenient spot and settled down for the night. It wasn't very cold but I lit the fire anyway as it does make the boat comfy overnight.

The next morning, with my stove fan still turning, I pottered about both inside and out. It was while I was checking my mooring ropes that I noticed something odd - someone had replaced a link in my fender chain with a nice new shiny 'D' shackle. You can just see it in the photo...


I guessed this had been done at the marina, not while I slept over night, but I couldn't fathom out why. When I got back to the marina, I asked the owners if they had done it and they said no, so I am none the wiser. My guess is that someone may have bumped into me at the marina and knocked the fender off and then kindly repaired it. If it was you, please let me know 'cos I'd like to thank you.

Another odd thing, my two day jaunt was cut short by a phone call telling me my builder wanted to start work on Tuesday rather than Wednesday. I thought, blimey, builders are not known for starting jobs early! Anyway, I thought there's no point winding the bloke up so I left at mid day and got home at tea time.

I'll see if the scrap chimney fits next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment