Wednesday 13 November 2013

A good day out

Apart from forgetting to take my camera with me, I achieved a lot today. I walked around my local CBS, picked up 100 litres of diesel in 5 jerry cans from my usual supplier in the Fens, took them to the boat and loaded it. I unhitched and pootled down to Ely in bright sunshine. I rescued a decent Life Belt from a watery grave and found a clear mooring in Ely. All this was done by 2.00pm. That's not bad going for a single-handed 50something year old!

After lunch and a brisk look at my favourite shops including the Waterside Antiques, I headed back in the last of the daylight. By 4.00pm it was a fantastic sunset and the light was fading fast. It was then that I saw two Kingfishers and my first Barn Owl of the year. About time too!!

Leaving the Marina at 5.00pm I got caught up in the evening rush hour. A nice person let me out on to the Stretham Road and I joined the long queue to the next roundabout. From there, it improved somewhat and I took the opportunity to buy some diesel for the Landy in Bury's Tesco (v cheap by Suffolk standards) and got home by 6.15pm.

A good day out indeed!

I may get another opportunity next week between panto rehearsals and other commitments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment