Wednesday 25 February 2015

From BT to TalkTalk

Having been wedded to BT for many years, I recently tried to negotiate a better deal with them and they didn't want to play ball. The first person I spoke to could only manage a contract 35p cheaper a month, the second bloke came out £4 more expensive and the woman from Customer Loyalty (ha ha) just agreed she could not better the current TalkTalk deal I was looking at. So, bye bye BT. The thing that wound me up most of all was that new customers could get great deals but these were not available to existing customers - how loyal is that!

So the new TT router arrived (tiny compared to the BT hub), I plugged it in to the phone line and mains, it found my computer over the airwaves and basically connected itself. Fab. 

Now, I wait to see how it performs but so far so good - seems very fast and there's no data limits. It's free for the first 12 months, then it's less than £4pm for the next 6 months. I even negotiated a £150 credit off my line rental due to a bit of argy-bargy with a sales assistant. I would have preferred not to have had the slight problem but the offer of credit was a pleasant surprise.

I realise my bargaining power is limited because I only want it for general browsing and phoning but if I added more options my leverage would obviously increase. BT was aware of this - bless 'em - and were not too bothered to lose me but TT was keen to enroll a new convert. Good on them. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment