Thursday 19 February 2015

New side hatch window

Last time I was in Ely, I bought a leaded window that just happened to be the exact shape of the side hatch, just smaller by about 80 mil in each direction. Perfect, I thought, to bring some more light in while keeping the security and traditional look of the boat. 

I spent Monday and Tuesday at home building a sturdy frame, priming and undercoating it and fitting the glass. Yesterday, I fitted it into the hatch and today, I finished off the painting. I stood back and felt pleased with the result.


It means I can keep the hatch tight shut, with added security, open the outer hatch doors for more light during the cold months or open them both up for more light and air when conditions allow. I should have done it sooner.

While on board I took a snap of my new tv aerial; just for the record. OK, I know it looks like a surveyors pole (which it is), but its higher than my other pole and it's red and white. When I have five minutes I may paint green bands between the red and white bits to match the tiller.


That reminds me - the other night when I was moored near the Cutter, some bright spark decided to hop onto the roof; I guessed this athletic act was undertaken with a view to impress the young lady he was with. It soon became obvious what was happening; I felt the boat sway a bit, heard a couple of foot steps on the roof and then I heard a stumble and an expletive or two - you know, the sort of thing Jim Davidson would say if he got his finger shut in a door or somewhere else. Anyway, I dragged myself away from Alex Jones, I put on my shoes and poked my head out to see the couple (older than I expected) walking down the riverside path towards the Cutter itself. I glanced up at the aerial to see if there was any damage and fortunately there wasn't any but I could see footprints in the wet surface, a few hand prints and a couple of skid marks presumably from his knees. I guessed in the dim light, he'd not noticed the green para-cord I use to steady the pole against any high wind. Obviously it has another use as well. So that's it. Not very exciting really. When I got back to Alex I found she had been replaced with Matt Baker; He's a nice enough bloke but he's not as good as Alex IMHO. Anyway as I reflected on the evening's excitement, I thought it would have been good if the jolly old boarder had slipped across the roof and fallen over the side into the river because it would have illustrated the moral to this story much better. I have to content myself with the thought that he probably will think twice about doing it again.

On my way home, yet another fender found its way on the top of Skylark. I'll soon have enough of every shape, size and colour to open a secondhand fender shop.


No comments:

Post a Comment