Wednesday 25 February 2015

Side Hatch improvements

I mentioned I recently fitted a new leaded window to the side hatch. I went back to the boat the other day to finish off the painting and fit a wooden seal to keep the wind out. I don't know if all side hatches let the wind in around the edges or even if only some do but, when I'm in line with a side-on gale, the wind can rattle its way in. So, with a neatly fashioned piece of trim, I created a wind baffle which works whether the outside hatch is open or closed. Nice. Maybe when I take my camera next time, I'll take a shot or two to illustrate my well-honed carpentry skills.

This recent trip was also quite successful in the furniture department. Having been spending quite a lot of time on board, I had begun to think my settee was not quite as comfortable as it should be. It's fine for routine sitting, eating, drinking and occasional dozing but not so good for long term stretching out and comatose sleeping - the sort of thing I find myself doing when I've read all my books, played all my songs, finished all my G&Ts and on TV I can only get 'Let's go Walking in the Lakes with Alan Tithead'. 

So, I have been keeping one eye open for something different and yesterday I found it - a secondhand reclining chair and foot stool. It's not too wide (for obvious reasons), just the right colour (brownish) and just about the right price (less than I've seen elsewhere). So a deal was done and I picked it up this morning. I can't wait to try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment