Saturday 25 April 2015

Annual service

I carried out the annual service this week. Obviously, I check the oil, coolant and battery levels, tightness of bolts etc much more regularly and I pump grease into the stern tube at the end of each day's travel (including keeping things clean 'down below') but a full annual service is recommended by the manufacturers. I know some owners change their oil more frequently, especially if they do more hours, but for a strong diesel engine that gets used regularly and never gets much above 2000 revs, I think an annual service is plenty adequate. The cleanness of the oil that comes out of the engine proves this.

To clarify, the Owners Manual states:

Every year or 250 hours if sooner
• Change engine lubricating oil (standard sump)
• Change lubricating oil filter
• Check air cleaner element
• Spray the key switch with WD40 or equivalent to
lubricate the barrel.
• Check that all external nuts, bolts and fastenings are tight.
• Check ball joint nyloc nuts for tightness on both gearbox
and speed control levers.
Every 750 hours (In addition to 250 hours maintenance)
• Change air cleaner element.
• Change fuel filter.
• Change antifreeze.
• Change gearbox oil.
• Check electrical equipment, condition of hoses and belts,

replace as necessary.

By the way, I should mention, I am no expert on this so I rely heavily on others with much more knowledge and experience, and I make frequent referrals to the Owners Manual, which is very readable for a non-expert like me. Anyway, armed with old towels, basic tools and new oil/filters I set about the job. Incidentally, I find it much easier to sit on my 'make-do' wooden bench across the engine bay rather than leaning in. 



The in-built sump pump is a great bit of kit so I pump the old engine oil straight into old plastic milk bottles - they are free, handy sized and easy to dispose of. I mop up any oil drips as I go.The latex gloves also help to keep me and everything else clean. I've got no idea where I learnt to keep everything clean and tidy as I go, but it works.





Then it's out with the old filter (wrapped in a plastic bag) and in with the new one, re-fill, run up the engine again and check for leaks/level.  Adjust as needed. 

I then changed the fuel filter, checked the air filter (which didn't need changing this time), checked the transmission oil (which didn't need changing or topping up) and generally cleaned and tidied up the engine bay. Job done in about an hour.

While I was on board I re-painted some of the walls in the main cabin and galley, polished a few brass things, tidied up and mopped the floor. Everything looking shiny and new - fab.

Skylark is booked in to have her bottom blacked at the start of June, which is a good thing. I will then start to think about repainting her outside - a more major job that needs careful planning and preparation.

Now, I don't like to talk about politics but turning to my postal voting papers I have to decide who deserves to represent me and, to be honest, the choice is bleak. I am always torn between two opposed principles. I know democracy is a fine thing, it must be protected and we must not waste our vote but why oh why must we put up with candidates of a such a low caliber. Just finding people we can trust would help and if we could get someone who will actually do something useful to improve our lives that, it seems, would be a bonus. A voice in my head keeps telling me that voting for these drab people just encourages them to stand for election and we should do something positive to raise the bar like giving each of them an IQ test before they can stand or inject them all with a truth hormone or, better still, fine them a substantial sum for every failed promise. That would make them think twice before they opened their mouths. Oh well, perhaps one day...

No comments:

Post a Comment