Sunday 26 April 2015

Replacement lamp

Skylark was built with a very modern lamp for navigating at night and in tunnels. It reminds me of the lady behind the fish counter at my local Co-op, very clean and functional but lacking somewhat in the looks department. Fortunately, I have not had to take it out much (the lamp that is) but, when ever I do, I'm slightly embarrassed. You know the feeling, I'm sure.



So, when I happened across an older, more traditional looking lamp at my local car boot sale, I snapped it up. 



It looks like it was designed for an old car as it has a main and dipped beam. I think it would normally be fitted on top of a wing but as the lens was fitted upside down I guessed it was either fitted under a car bumper or maybe had already been used on a boat to illuminate the roof of tunnels - I will never know. As it's in such good condition I guessed the latter.

Anyway, attaching it to my short de-mountable metal post was a doddle but the electrical connections presented me a slight problem.



Instead of two simple terminals, one positive and one negative as on the other lamp, this lamp has three; one negative and two positives to operate the two different beams. As I only aim to use the main beam, I have to work out which of the three terminals to use. No great shakes, I hear you say, just need to whip out your multi-meter and practice a bit of basic electronics.

The next problem is finding a couple of spade connectors to fit the larger than average 8mm terminals. As yet I have not found anyone who makes them this size. I can get 4, 5, 6 and 9.5mm but not 8mm. Am I missing something? Yes, an 8mm connector! I will keep looking but guess I'll either use the 9.5mm ones and work on them with a pair of pliers, or cobble together a 'Heath Robinson' arrangement of twisted wires and insulation tape. If you have any suggestions, please email me. If not, I will persevere and hope for the best.

Update: Today, in my local car accessory shop, I found a crafty little connector made specifically for this situation, that is to attach an old style bulb to a modern electrical system. I can't remember what it's called but it has 3 female spade terminals of just the right size (8mm) linked to three wires, ready for connecting up. Now it's back to the boat to fit it and see if it works.


No comments:

Post a Comment