Wednesday 15 April 2015

Canoe seat webbing

I mentioned I'd broken the wicker seat on the canoe and had plans to refurbish it. Today I put those plans into action. You may be interested to see how I did it as it could be useful if you have to do the same or something similar.

Having taken the seat out of the canoe, I removed the old wicker 


 

and sanded down what would become the new underside.

I had already measured the seat very accurately and worked out I could get 7 nylon strips in one direction and 11 in the other, with a 1.5 mm gap between them. However, to be sure it would fit, I cut 7 short strips and laid them out along the shortest side. Btw, each strip measured 25 mm wide but this approach would also work with different widths.



Satisfied that they would all fit in I started fitting the webbing; starting at the outer edges first and moving inwards.

I have invested in a new stapler from B&Q and used this to attach the webbing, obviously working from the underside. For only £10 (less 10% Old Geezers discount), I'm really impressed with this piece of kit. It made the job so easy. In fact I can't think of anything else that would have done the job better.






Then, using the workbench adjustable stops to brace the seat against, I stretched the webbing over the opposite edge and stapled it again, to match the other side. Each time I cut the webbing, I melted the cut edge with a cigarette lighter to stop the ends fraying.



I completed the first run. I was pleased to see everything was straight and all the 1.5 mm gaps were equal.



I started on the longer side, interweaving the webbing as I went. This time I started in the middle and worked outwards to make sure it ended up symmetrical



I laid the short webbing strips along the edge again to make sure it all fitted before I started stapling.


Before I finished, I tapped each staple with a hammer to make sure they were all seated in properly.



After about an hour the seat was completed and I inspected my handwork...from underneath...



And from the topside...



I have to say, I was pretty chuffed with the result so I cracked open a bottle of Vimto in celebration.

Of course I could be accused of being biased so I took a second opinion from Lady Saga and she said it looked very professional. She liked the nice springy twang when she flicked it with her test finger (the one she uses to test for things like temperature, stickiness, sharpness, dustiness, etc etc.) 

All I have to do now is refit into the boat and give it a test flight.

.........................................................................................................

Update:

After re-fitting the seat, I took the canoe down the River Gipping to Claydon and slid it into the water. After the obligatory wobble as she found her way through the weeds at the edge of the river and I settled down, it turned out to be a very comfortable paddle. 

There was enough 'give' in the seat to make it feel like I was in contact with the boat without me sinking into the bilges and there was just enough 'adhesion' to stop me slipping around as I paddled. 

It is, of course, waterproof (which is a good thing under the circumstances) and there is a reasonable degree of breathability (if you get my drift). Also, as the nylon is rot-proof and tear-proof, it should last a long time. In fact, I don't think it can be bettered and, given the webbing had only cost me something in the region of £3.50, I think it will prove to be very good value for money. Job done!

No comments:

Post a Comment