Sunday 15 December 2013

Too much on my plate?

I don't know if it's anything to do with being retired or my capacity for doing things is just less now I'm a bit older but I remember, not so long ago, I could have dozens of things on the go at the same time and seemed capable of doing them all reasonably well and within a decent timescale.

Now, my time is filled with rehearsing the Christmas Panto, practicing guitar and ukulele, having the Land Rover repaired and serviced, running our Christmas Street Fayre 'pop-up shop', arranging new moorings for Skylark, fixing a leaking roof, collecting Rosie from Lincoln, and planning and preparing for my three month 'cruise'. This should all be a doddle really but it all requires a reasonable amount of thought and discipline to get through it. I've even had to resurrect a prioritised 'things to do' list; something I thought I would not need since retiring.

I occasionally have to remind myself, it's much better than working for a living.

Putting this in context, I'm reading a book at the moment detailing the leadership style and qualities of Ernest Shackleton, as he and his crew planned their pioneering crossing of the Antarctic continent and the period after they found themselves trapped in the Antarctic sea. After their ship sank and with no hope of rescue, their escape through 800 miles of ice and sea took them 2 years and challenged them beyond anything we are likely to encounter. It was a truly inspirational journey, the success of which was largely down to Shackleton's remarkable leadership style.

I had already become aware of this when reading about Scott's last journey. It is without doubt their styles of leadership had to be inspirational to get men to put their lives at risk but their approaches were quite different. Scott drew on his Naval experience of rigorous planning, detailed preparations, achieving order, instilling discipline and creating clear demarcations of roles between the Officers, the scientists and the crew. His diary speaks of great hardships and courage but once his target had been snatched away from him, there is a great sense of disappointment (understandably) but also a sense of being overcome by the enormity of the challenge that lay ahead for them.

Shackleton, on the other hand, had spent time in the Merchant Marine and, while planning and preparation were still vital elements, he had developed an instinctive understanding of recruiting and managing men to best effect and leading them, side by side, through life-threatening challenges. He maintained a clear vision of his target, was able to change tactics as the need arose and instilled confidence in his men that he could achieve success.

As much as I admire Scott and what he achieved, I know which team I would have preferred to be in and I know which man I take most inspiration from.

Their achievements put our  comfortable lives into perspective!

Anyway, I must sort out my Ugly Sister dresses now, ready for tonight's Technical rehearsal.

No comments:

Post a Comment