Wednesday 4 December 2013

Little Ouse Moorings

I was sorry to receive notification that the mooring fees at Lazy Otter are increasing. Not unusual I suppose in this period of economic growth (to you and me I think that just means everything is getting more expensive!). However, a 20% increase is a tad over the top in my opinion. The owners put it down to a number of things - inflation, further capital investment for plumbing in an electric supply and, on top of that, they now have to charge VAT as well. I can accept the inflationary figure but, as I don't need an electric supply and don't want to pay VAT unless I can help it, I decided to look for somewhere else to moor - reluctantly, I should say, as I have been very happy with Lazy Otter. It's location is good, the facilities are adequate and the site is nicely secure. I don't want anything else really.

Anyway, I trawled the internet and thought about marinas I have come across and did some phoning around for prices. As cost is a pretty fundamental factor along with good vehicular and pedestrian access, security and pleasant surroundings, I plumped for the Little Ouse Mooring on Brandon Creek (AKA the Little Ouse). It's a little further from Ely (2.5 hrs) but opens up the northern Ouse for me to explore in more detail.

I have been there a few times to fill up with diesel so had a good idea what was on offer but I went to meet Natalie on Friday. All was as I hoped and expected so I signed up there and then. A deposit was paid and I take up my bank-side mooring In April. I'll report more once I've tied up in April.

In the meantime, I have a slight gap in mooring facilities, having to leave Lazy Otter at the end of December. So, my plan is to cruise for the 3 months between December and April with occasional trips home to 'touch base' as the Americans would say. This means I will be able to explore the northern fens and maybe head over to Northampton if all the locks are open. I was told the other day that Stanground Lock in Peterborough may be closed for maintenance until March so my plans will have to take this into account. Kay may also join me at times when her work and the weather allows.

So that's the overall plan. It may change on a day to day basis but I would prefer to be moving about rather than hitching up to EA or GOBA moorings for longer than the requisite 48 hours. I know some people do that, but it's not my way.

Now, what else did I do during my trip last weekend. I pottered up to the EA mooring opposite the River Lark junction - I think it's called the 'Diamond 48'. Very peaceful!


There was no other boat to be seen on the water. I had lunch, washed the boat and cleaned the floor, and generally tidied up.

During the evening, I went to the Maltings and watched the new film called 'Captain Phillips' with Tom Hanks playing a container ship captain. His boat is hijacked by a band of Somali pirates and we see how he and his crew deal with it, with the help of the US Navy. I have to say, it was gripping stuff and Mr Hanks did a great job playing out this real life story. It was quite moving at the end. I would recommend it highly.

When I got back to Skylark, my throat felt as dry as one of those desert sand lizards that stand on three legs at a time so I had to go into the Cutter to down pint of Doom Bar real ale and very nice it was too.


So that was it really. Another nice weekend away, doing boaty things on the river. This will be a busy week with rehearsals continuing, and preparations for the Christmas Street Fair.  

Lastly, Rosie, I thought you might like to see another narrowboat with your name emblazoned on it. Or is this the same one you saw in Lincoln's Brayford Pool?

4 comments:

  1. We moored there for a while when we were on the Fens. If you need a temporary mooring you may be able to get a short term one from the EA at Denver. Several people hide away for a few weeks down on the relief channel, there are some good pontoon moorings down there. As you know a good value meal at Jenyns Arms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian and Diana, I'm hoping my reluctant departure from Lazy Otter in December and arrival at LOM in April will not be a problem - but an opportunity to experience the fens in more detail during the winter. If I decide to moor up for any length of time, I'll look into your suggestions. Thanks. Richard.

      Delete
  2. Hi just wondered about your experience at Little Ouse? We have looked at it this week but unsure. Any advice appreciated, Thanks, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I have been very happy with LOM. For me the only cons are the 100 miles round trip from home and having to travel 2 hrs to get to Ely along a boring bit of river. The pros are the very competitive mooring rates, secure parking, cheap diesel, peace and quiet, clean and tidy, and, most important very friendly and helpful owners (Danny and Nat). Some might find the lack of electricity and waste disposal a problem but I and many others don't need these. I suggest you give it a go and see how you get on. Let me know if you do!

      Delete