Sunday 11 January 2015

Denver to Kings Lynn

Two nights away and a short trip up to Denver and Downham Market. 



On Saturday I took the train to Lynn (£3.00 return - not bad) and spent a sunny but cold few hours in the town and waterside. The main shopping centre could be anywhere but the old properties near the river are fantastic. 



After a very nice coffee and toasted tea cake, I headed back. 

While I was on the floating pontoon at Denver I realised I had not seen much wildlife apart from the ubiquitous ducks and gulls. As I looked out of a porthole I thought how nice it would be if a Kingfisher would fly in and sit on the handrail 6 feet away...and, you've guessed it...one just happened to fly in and sit on the handrail. How's that for a coincidence! I always consider it a real treat when I see one but seeing one this close rarely happens.

I also had an odd experience with a floating fender. As often happens, I noticed a fender in the water on the opposite side of the river so I pootled over and hauled it out, a neat trick in a strong current and brisk on-shore wind. As I went back to my mooring, I tied up and had a closer look at my new find. It was very similar to one of my own, with one of those 'L' shaped hangers on a short length of white rope. Very similar in fact. I was so taken by its similarity, I looked at my fenders to compare it more closely and found that my white fender wasn't there any more. It must have come loose during the strong winds the previous night and sailed off across the river. I had actually recovered my own fender.

I left this morning at 8.00 am to a cold head wind. All went well well apart from the slackers on the down-stream gates of the Relief Channel lock not operating properly which meant I couldn't open the up-stream gates to fill the lock chamber. Fortunately the Denver Complex Manager was on hand to over-ride the electrical system so I was able to carry on. This would have been a bit awkward if he'd been unavailable.

Heading into the current, a strong wind and a bright sun is not a great thing to do but I have experienced much worse. At least it was dry.

By the way, the floating pontoon at Lynn is very nice and well worth thinking about using but be aware that its not cheap. 


For Skylark, measuring 60 feet, the overnight charge would be £27. Compare that to the free pontoon at Downham and the £3.00 return fare by train, the choice is yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment