Friday 11 April 2014

Brandon on the Little Ouse

With a few good days of weather on the cards, I took Skylark up the Little Ouse to Brandon. This is a very nice 14 mile stretch of river, meandering through the fens, open fields, lakes reclaimed from sand and gravel quarries, woodlands and small villages. There is a large RSPB reserve just outside Brandon and I have often seen Red Kites and Buzzards twirling in the air around the trees. There are many Kingfishers, Herons and other waterfowl about so it's great if you like birdwatching. I think I heard a Bittern in the Fen. As I'd never heard one before I was only going by what I'd heard about them on TV but it sounded right. Don't ask me to mimic one 'cos I can't!

Brandon itself is not much to write home about but it seems friendly enough and has everything a boater needs. The lock was closed and undergoing some maintenance while I was there, which is no problem for me as it's too short for Skylark anyway. I moored at the EA mooring just below the lock. A Kingfisher had made its nest in the bank just 15 feet from my bow.

I had the pleasure to meet Danny who works voluntarily for the Brandon and District Angling Club. He has been opening up the area over the last year, since I was last there, and made it much more 'user friendly'. Previously, it was a bit hidden away and I think subject to the odd bit of vandalism and night-time disturbance. My two nights there, were very peaceful and I take my hat off to Danny for the improvements he's made. What a star!



I had a discrete smile to myself when I read Danny's parking sign and saw that someone in Brandon is very to happy help him. If only they could put on their wellies and help with some practical work as well!



No comments:

Post a Comment