Monday 21 April 2014

New chimney

A few posts ago I told you that my chimney is falling apart with rust, not to mention the fact that I can't get it off the roof because it has rusted itself onto the chimney ring thingy. A consequence of having coal fires I guess. So a replacement chimney has been on the cards for a while.

As my proposed spring trip up the Nene, through the Middle Levels, involves negotiating quite a few low bridges, I must be able to take the chimney off so this has prompted me to order a new one now.

While the old one is a standard 18" x 6" double skin black jobbie with a brass ring and a couple of brass hook/handle adornments, I was unsure if I should go for the same. I looked at all the options including stainless steel and couldn't see any reason why I shouldn't try the 12" version of the standard design. It looks business-like and I guessed the smoke will still get away OK but my only slight concern is that any oily residue from the smoke will have a slightly shorter distance to fall and, if it does, it may fall on the roof. You can often see boats with black stains around their chimneys so I will wait and see if this is a problem with the shorter version.

Now, all I have to do is get the old chimney off. If it won't budge, it may a job for my angle-grinder.

No comments:

Post a Comment