Saturday 10 May 2014

My knot research

Remember my recent post about tying knots in rope? Well, I've not undertaken a PhD in Advanced Knot Technology yet but I have Googled how much weaker a rope is after you have tied a knot in it. 

Jeff Achey, a climber, says:


Anytime you tie a knot in a rope, you weaken it. In drop tests and pull tests, a rope typically breaks at the knot. The strongest tie-in knot you can use is the figure-eight follow-through, which, when pull-tested, breaks at 75 to 80 percent of the rope’s full strength. The bowline is a slightly weaker knot, at 70 to 75 percent, followed by the double fisherman’s at 65 to 70 percent. The clove hitch is the weakest of the common knots, at 60 to 65 percent. 

I'll now have to research what a figure - eight follow-through is. Sounds like something Tovill and Dean might try.

No comments:

Post a Comment