Thursday 1 May 2014

The stove fan on test

Just a quick update.

I used the new fan on the boat and noticed a discernible difference. There are not many options of where to stand it on the stove because its not a large stove so I fiddled around with various locations and anywhere seemed to work fine. Apparently it needs a cold air flow from behind to work best. I'm not sure how I could improve on this given the small space available.



Within a few minutes the stove got hot enough to trigger the heat sensitive cell and the small electric motor started the blades turning silently. The fan is a simple design but a clever one, the flat base maximises the heat gain from the top of the stove, it travels up the stand onto the heat sensitive cell ...


and this powers the small electric motor...


I realise my 'test' was not very scientific but within a short time the cabin of the boat was feeling quite snug despite me not really feeling a warm wind blowing from the fan. It seems more like it's function is to just gently waft warm air into the room rather than blow it, like, say, a domestic or office electric fan heater. 

I was soon feeling quite warm so I turned the fan towards the kitchen area and the heat reduced a little in the cabin area. Later, I found the back end of the boat was much warmer than usual so I think the warm air had been driven into this area too.

As I said, this was not a scientific test and I don't intend carrying out anything more. My conclusion is that it works; it quietly and gently fans warm air around the boat, it makes best use of the warm air that is available and for less than £50 seems to be good value for money.

Interestingly, when I got up the next morning, I found the fire still in, which is not unusual, but the fan was still turning. 

I suspect it was not being very effective at that slow speed but there was still some life in it - a bit like me at that time in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment